Rain can bring on more than rainy day blues; excessive rainfall and storms can wreak havoc on your home. Here are some tips to deal with extreme rain and keeping your home dry:
- Make sure your gutters, drains and downspouts are clear from any blockage. A simple check and cleanout will do wonders for rainflow.
- Extend drainpipes out away from your home. Just adding one more piece might get water away from your foundation.
- On rainy days, make note of where water pools and collects. Often, landscaping and flower beds can impede water. Take care to make sure these areas are clear or have pathways for waterflow. Also make sure if you plant near your home, that you build up soil next to the foundation.
- Cover air vents with heavy plastic when excessive rain is expected. This is an easy way to keep water out.
- Check sealant around windows, doors and skylights. This will keep water at bay.
- If you do get water in your basement or home, run a dehumidifier and fan to clear things up quickly.