Some days in December just aren’t long enough. By time you work, take care of your family and deal with other issues, you might feel like the holidays are just too crazy and need to be canceled! But take heart and read our tips to stay stress free this busy time of year:
- Choose your Traditions. You don’t have to do everything every year. What is most important to your family? Is it your special reindeer cookies? Or trimming the tree? Putting up lights? Choose one or two items and save gingerbread houses and homemade eggnog for another day!
- Take a Breather. Check out of one or two activities if you need a mental health break. You don’t have to go to the Nutcracker this year or attend the city tree lighting. Instead, stay home and take a bubble bath and read a book. You’ll be ready to take on the next event tomorrow!
- Don’t Sweat the Gifts. Your gifts don’t have to be amazing every year. If you planned to knit a bunch of scarves but time got away from you– don’t worry. Make a plate of cookies or buy everyone a box of candy. Gift cards are always welcome. People are just happy that you thought of them!
- Be Happy and Spread Joy. Doing something for others this time of year is always a mood lifter. Clean out the clutter and donate toys and clothes to the shelters and Goodwill where others can appreciate them. Help stock up the food pantry at your local church. Make extra cookies and give them out to your neighbors. Making others happy will put a smile on your face too.
- It’s Good Enough. Pick a stopping point. Christmas has to come and be enjoyed– you don’t have to kill yourself to decorate every nook and cranny or make every cookie recipe you pinned on Pinterest!