April is National Library Month. When you think about it, it is kind of a miracle that libraries still exist in this day and age. A public, FREE, institution that provides people with access to information might seem unnecessary in this day of the Internet, but trust me, there are several reasons why you should get a library card NOW.
- First, it is easy to get your free card. Just go to your local library with your personal identification and proof of your address, like a utility bill or such.
- Once you have your card, ask the librarian how to access apps and such to maximize access. Libraries are not just about real, actual books. You can now get e-books and audible books right to your phone or tablet FREE via your library card.
- Utilize a search and hold system. Most libraries link with LOTS of other libraries in the state to give you larger access through an interlibrary loan system. You can request all the Sopranos seasons on DVD, Greatest Hits of Prince on CD and even magazines digitally or in paper form.
- Look at the local schedule. If you have children, there are usually lots of free programming like reading hour for preschoolers and a summer reading program with cool themes for teens. For adults, there may be book clubs, free lectures and computer classes.
- Use the FREE technology. Most library have computers, printers and copiers you can use, and some libraries have other equipment like tablets that can be checked out. Libraries can be quiet spots to study or work and use the wifi.
So what are you waiting for, go get that card and read a great book this month!